St. Robert Bellarmine Catholic Church
Saint Robert Bellarmine Parish began as a mission church in the 1920's. Initially, Masses were held in parishioners' homes. No Masses were celebrated during the Great Depression as the Diocese could not afford to send a priest. However, in 1943, the Atmore mission was designated a parish and construction began on a rectory and church in 1944 at its present South Main Street location.
Tragedy struck on September 14, 1967, when the church caught fire and was severly damaged. During the renovation, the east and west wings of the church were enlarged to house the present chapel and sacristy, and the stained glass rose window overlooking the altar was added. The church was rededicated in 1968.
The parish hall, named for former pastor, Father James Boland, was dedicated on March 13, 1977. It houses a large community area, classrooms and the parish office.
A children's playground was later added. It was dedicated and blessed on February 27, 1999.
A small meditation garden was constructed in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary and was dedicated on May 5, 2002. In 2004 a second meditation garden was added on the opposite side of the church in honort of St. Joseph.
Today, Saint Robert Bellarmine Catholic Church and Parish continue to be a place of solace and light to meet the needs of Atmore's Catholic community -- a place to worship and grow spiritually as a family of faith.